SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday 11 April 2020

My Self Tanning Routine

my tanning routine

my fake tanning routine blog

I have experienced many years of fake tanning and tried loads of different products and techniques (quite a few dodgy ones at that). I have been using Bondi Sands for a few years now and I'd never go back to anything else. It's the only tan I've really proper loved and spend every last penny on.

I always prep the day before I want to tan. I hop in the shower, shave wherever needs to be shaved and then exfoliate my whole body to get rid of any dead skin cells. I either use a scrub from The Body Shop or one from Soap & Glory - both brands are great! If I have old tan on from the week before, I pump some of Bondi Sands self tan eraser onto an exfoliating glove and just go over my body which loosens the tan, then I lightly exfoliate over to remove the rest and then shave as normal. After drying myself off, I moisturise my whole body as I usually would after a normal shower.

Before applying my tan, I moisturise my chest, hands, elbows, knees, feet and ankles, just any areas that are dry and that tan would cling to. I do this about 20-30 minutes before I tan so it gives the moisturiser time to sink in. I've been switching between the Bondi Sands self tanning foam in light/medium and their dark foam. I used to use the dark tan all the time but because I'm so pale I had quite a few people say it looked too dark.

So I only now really use the dark one for an occasion or if I'm going out at the weekend (which is hardly ever!). The light/medium shade is the perfect colour for me, it gives me a healthy glow but nothing too drastic. I squirt two or three pumps onto a mitt and start at my feet and work my way up in circular motions. I usually have Liam about to tan my back for me, if not, I tie my mitt onto a clothes hanger with a hairband and reach around to my back, it works a treat!

 I'm not gonna lie, it does have a slight biscuity smell that everyone hates (apart from me), but it's not too overpowering like other tans on the market, you can also actually smell a twinge of coconut so it's not too bad.
Depending on what I'm doing on the day of tanning, I sometimes sleep in it or let it develop during the day. If I tan during the day, I leave it on for 3 or 4 hours and put on some loose, dark clothing. Or if I sleep in it, it's obviously left on for a longer amount of time, but to be honest it doesn't go that much darker.
When I wash it off, I don't use body wash I just rinse with the showerhead until the water runs clear. I then pat myself dry with a dark coloured towel.

I've never found the light/medium shade to have a noticeable fade, it actually fades out really nicely. Whereas the dark shade was a lot more noticeable. To maintain the tan, I very lightly exfoliate in the shower every few days. I also moisturise every day, especially my feet and hands. I have quite dry hands anyway, so I also use hand cream more often throughout the day too. In the summer I like to have more of a glow, so I tend to use the Bondi Sands Everyday Liquid Gold after a few days of applying my usual tan. It's a gradual tanning dry oil so it just boosts your tan and gives it a little refresh.

Are you a tanner? What do you use?

12 comments :

  1. I never got into fake tan, but when i have I love the results x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love it. I love how it makes me feel so much better about myself and more healthy x

      Delete
  2. I love fake tanning but always find when it starts to come off it looks AWFUL so I never do it. Deffo going to try your ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely keep on top of exfoliating & moisturising. It honestly makes a huge difference!

      Delete
  3. I used to love fake tanning, I would do it religiously but in recent years I haven't bothered. However, now that I am working from home and can see my own white potato face on screen, I'm going to need to get back on it!! SO many great tips here!
    Rosie
    loverosiee.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It honestly makes me feel so much better about myself. Also a bonus, makes me look skinnier and healthier haha x

      Delete
  4. I'm allergic to fake tan so I've only used it a couple of times but I just loooove it :( x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg no you're not!!! :( I don't actually know what I'd do! x

      Delete
  5. I used to love using tanning mousses but as my skin is super dry I now only use gradual tanners and find them so much easier, literally just mix with my moisturiser, rub all over my body and no need to wash off. Game changing!

    Gemma Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so easy! I'll have to try that at some point.

      Delete
  6. I love the look of tan when it is done properly, but I have yet to find one with no scent at all.

    Amy x
    The July Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're in the year of 2020, you would've thought that at least one brand out there would do that x

      Delete